What is a Zoom Virtual Background?
A Zoom virtual background is the background image that is displayed when you use video conferencing software like Zoom. It’s the background that displays behind the subject (you) when you use your video in your meetings. The virtual background feature allows you to display either an image or a video.
Many of us may have been working from home for over a month, and have now become quite familiar with using video conferencing software for our meetings, schooling, and for some of us our social lives. So, playing around with our Zoom virtual backgrounds has become quite the norm.
The change to our daily routine means we are also creating more entertainment for ourselves, particularly at home where we are using technology to inject some personality into our daily lives. This personality has come in the form of playing around with customisation (like virtual backgrounds) on our video conferencing software.
In this post we give you a rundown of how to update and change your Zoom virtual backgrounds on both desktop and mobile. We have also put together some virtual backgrounds of our own for you to download and use for your next meeting.
How to change your Zoom Virtual Background
Changing your Zoom background is fairly straightforward. First it will require you having a Zoom account, so if you haven’t yet signed up, do so here.
- Sign in to Zoom application
- Click Settings
- Click Virtual Background
- Click on an image to select your chosen virtual background or add your own image by clicking +Add Image
- To disable Virtual Background, choose the option None
Tips and Reminders for Zoom Virtual Backgrounds
- If your camera is set to 16:9, an image of 1280 pixels by 720 px or 1920 pixels by 1080 pixels is ideal.
- Consider contrast when changing your background. The subject should stand out from the background (your room).
- Try not to use anything too busy, otherwise, you will lose sight of the subject.
- Remember to update your image or video for each occasion (Don’t get caught out entering your work meeting, using the latest background you set for your Friday night virtual social!)
Using Zoom Virtual Backgrounds on Mobile
Most video conferencing software can be installed to run on the go on your mobile device. On the mobile version of these apps, you can also update and change your background to suit the occasion.
See if your friends and colleagues can tell the difference as to whether your background is fake or whether you are in your bedroom or sitting in your home office (this will determine who has been paying attention!).
How to update your virtual background on Zoom
- Log into your account, and join a meeting.
- Tap the three dots at the bottom right of the screen to open the More menu.
- Head to Virtual Background.
- Select a background from the default options, or upload your own custom background.
3 Categories For Zoom Virtual Backgrounds
Virtual Backgrounds for Schools and Corporates/Office- These backgrounds from Zoom are perfect if you want to feel and look like you are still in the office, ideal for those who may not want their colleagues seeing inside their house!
Virtual Backgrounds for Schools and Teachers – If you work in the education sector or you are doing some teaching using video software then these backgrounds have you covered.
Virtual Backgrounds For The Funny Moments – If you want a funny background that can trick your co-workers, then Pocket Lint has you covered. If you do choose to use a funny background, don’t forget to change this when you have a serious meeting or an interview!
Download Your Free Swift Digital Zoom Virtual Backgrounds
Who doesn't love Frenchies!
Need a buddy during isolation? Download our cute French bulldog background.
Cute Cartoons Keeping Busy
If you are looking for a background that’s colourful and bright, then download this!
Now that you know how to update your virtual background, your online meetings and webinars need never be dull again! Go ahead and give it a go, there are backgrounds to suit all occasions.
If you are looking to run a virtual event, make sure you check out our virtual event management FAQ handbook which answers all your virtual event questions.