The best solution, in my experience, is just to write. And write. And write. Regardless of if it turns out to be something really interesting or something really boring and awful. Starting is the hurdle, you can always edit once you’ve got some words on paper. (Or screen, these days.)
Nearly all writers face this at some stage. Here’s a few ideas and exercises that might help you work through it.
- Don’t stop before you start. You might have a dozen of ideas, but you’re hung up on getting them down perfectly. In this situation, the most effective exercise is to just jot them down. Make a list, cross things out, scribble things down as a stream of consciousness. As you loosen up, the words will start to flow.
- Too many ideas, too little time. Often, the ideas that come to you in the initial few minutes will form the backbone of the final outcome. However, don’t discard other great ideas that may come up but just don’t fit for today. Keep track of these and whip them out to make future writing much easier, quicker and more palatable.
- Approach it from a different angle. There will be occasions when you feel stuck right in the middle of something. You need to do something to get to the story moving again. Try to explain it aloud using different words, or consider alternative arguments.
- Take a break, but remain productive. Some writers feel blocked or bored if they continue to work on the same project for too long. Switching back and forth between one project and another prevents boredom and writer’s block.
- Read a book or article
- Change your environment
- Get some fresh air and head for a walk
- Freewriting/stream of consciousness writing
- Make yourself a drink, maybe some coffee or tea
- Brainstorming and mind mapping – doodling ideas visually
- Listen to music – instrumentals and soundtracks can be perfect background noise while writing
Explore how Swift Digital can help you create a professional and creative marketing automation strategy to make your next campaign series a success!
To find out how your organisation can get the best out of Swift Digital’s platform, contact our Sales Team today on 1300 878 289